List of Thousands of Refugee Deaths in Liverpool Destroyed Again – 利物浦数千名难民死亡名单再次被毁

News - 16 Aug 2018

List of Thousands of Refugee Deaths in Liverpool Destroyed Again

2 minutes

Turkish artist Banu Cennetoğlu and the Liverpool Biennial say the remains will be left as a reminder of ‘systematic violence’

The List of 34,361 documented deaths of asylum seekers, refugees and migrants who have lost their lives within or on the borders of Europe since 1993. Documentation as of 5 May 2018 by UNITED for Intercultural Action. Facilitated by Banu Cennetoğlu. Prese

List of Thousands of Refugee Deaths in Liverpool Destroyed Again - 利物浦数千名难民死亡名单再次被毁

The List of 34,361 documented deaths of asylum seekers, refugees and migrants who have lost their lives within or on the borders of Europe since 1993. Documentation as of 5 May 2018 by UNITED for Intercultural Action. Facilitated by Banu Cennetoğlu. Presented at Great George Street, Liverpool Biennial 2018. Photo taken 14 August 2018.

The List, a project which details the thousands of people who have died while seeking refuge in Europe since 1993, has been vandalized for a second time in Liverpool. The List had been installed as a series of posters along hoardings on Great George Street, as part of the Liverpool Biennial.

The installation, which names 34,361 dead asylum seekers and migrants, was torn down last month by unknown vandals. The Liverpool Biennial reinstated it following its destruction in July, before it was attacked again on Sunday. The motives and perpetrators remain unclear.

Now the Turkish artist Banu Cennetoğlu, who has helped facilitate the public distribution of The List, says that the project will not be installed again. In a joint statement with the Liverpool Biennial and NGO network UNITED for Intercultural Action, the artist said: ‘[The List] has been repeatedly damaged, removed and targeted since it was installed. We have decided to leave it in this current ‘state’ as a manifestation and reminder of this systematic violence exercised against people.’ A notice will be put in place directing visitors to an online version of The List.

A spokesperson for the city council commented: ‘We are saddened by this mindless act of vandalism.’ They said that they would work with the Liverpool Biennial to ‘shine a light on how we need to do more to promote a tolerant and compassionate society.’

Cennetoğlu has been supporting the distribution of The List – compiled by UNITED for Intercultural Action – since 2007. The artist does not consider it an artwork, but looks to facilitate its presence in public spaces. Earlier this year, it appeared as a special supplement in The Guardian newspaper. The List has not been attacked in previous editions, the artist has noted.

The List offers ‘a challenge to the ways in which we consume and forget the world today, in which the deaths of refugees, or the banalities of our private lives, become commodites jostling for attention on social media feeds,’ a recent frieze review argued. The current edition of the Liverpool Biennial, titled ‘Beautiful world, where are you?’ references recent political and environmental turbulence, and looks to how the future might be shaped amidst such global turmoil.

News
Banu Cennetoglu
Liverpool Biennial
The List
Refugee Crisis


新闻- 16八月2018日利物浦数千名难民死亡名单再次被毁2分钟土耳其艺术家巴努·塞内托卢和利物浦双年展称遗体将作为“系统性暴力”的提醒。自1993以来,在欧洲境内或境内失去了生命的寻求庇护者、难民和移民的34361份文件死亡名单。2018年5月5日由联合国进行跨文化行动的文件。由巴努-塞内托·卢促成。PRESE List of Thousands of Refugee Deaths in Liverpool Destroyed Again - 利物浦数千名难民死亡名单再次被毁列出了1993年以来在欧洲境内或境内失去生命的寻求庇护者、难民和移民的34361份文件的死亡名单。2018年5月5日由联合国进行跨文化行动的文件。由巴努-塞内托·卢促成。在利物浦乔治街,双年展2018。照片拍摄于2018年8月14日。这份清单详细描述了1993后在欧洲寻求庇护的数千人在利物浦第二次被破坏。该名单已被列为乔治二世街上的一系列海报,作为利物浦双年展的一部分。这座名为34361名死难寻求庇护者和移民的装置上个月被不明身份的破坏者拆毁了。利物浦双年展于七月被摧毁,在星期日再次遭到袭击。动机和肇事者仍不清楚。现在,土耳其艺术家Bunu Cunnto-Lu,帮助促进了公共分布的名单,说该项目将不会重新安装。在与利物浦双年展和非政府组织联合网络跨文化行动联合声明中,这位艺术家说:“这个名单自从安装以来,已经被多次破坏、删除和有针对性。我们决定把它放在当前的“状态”中,作为一种表现和提醒人们对人们实施的系统性暴力。“通知将被放在适当的位置,引导访问者进入名单的在线版本。市议会发言人评论说:“我们对这种无意识的破坏行为感到悲伤。”他们说,他们将与利物浦双年展合作,“照亮我们需要做更多的事情来促进宽容和富有同情心的社会。”这份名单由联合国跨文化行动联合会编制,自2007起。艺术家并不认为它是一件艺术品,而是为了促进它在公共空间的存在。今年早些时候,它在《卫报》刊登了一份特别增刊。这位艺术家注意到,在以前的版本中,这张专辑没有受到攻击。一份最新的Fruez评论说,这份名单为我们消费和忘记当今世界的方式带来了挑战,在这些方式中,难民的死亡,或是我们私人生活的琐事,成为了社会媒体馈赠中的关注点。利物浦双年展的最新版本,名为《美丽的世界》,你在哪里?他提到了最近的政治和环境动荡,并展望了未来可能如何在这样的全球动荡中形成。新闻Bunu CCENETGOLU利物浦双年展名单难民危机


FRIZE特稿
ARThing编译


Comments are closed.