Q&A: @gangculture – 问&A: @帮派文化

Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化

Frieze has collaborated with Los Angeles-based photographer Trevor Hernandez on a photo series to launch Frieze Los Angeles. Celebrated as @gangculture on Instagram, Hernandez’s commission for Frieze reframes Paramount Pictures Studios from the artist’s distinctive, surrealist perspective, exposing uncanny compositions on the working lot and within the urban Los Angeles landscape. Hernandez’s work for Frieze Los Angeles will be featured on frieze.com, across social media and on visual advertising world-wide.

Why did you choose the name @gangculture for Instagram? 
I originally intended on using the name as a title for a publication, but I joined Instagram before I had a chance to start the project. The username has no specific connection to the photos…but I was interested in using a name that evokes something larger than self.

dsc02898.jpg

What got you started with photography?
My father bought me my first film camera around age 10. I really didn’t have the patience or desire to fully appreciate the equipment, so the camera didn’t get much use. In my teens I purchased a T4 and several digital cameras…but I didn’t fully embrace shooting photos on a regular basis until my first iPhone. The convenience of using my phone as a camera, created this habit that has become a bit of an obsession.

How would you describe your artistic style?
Sculptural. Conceptual.

edsc00017.jpg

Photo by Trevor Hernandez @gangculture

How would you describe Los Angeles’ culture?
I was born and raised here, so my experience of LA will always be defined by the working class people and colorful imagery of the large Hispanic communities. Since this is a decentralized city, you have large pockets of neighborhood proud communities scattered across the landscapes that form a beautiful diverse population. The city has been going through rapid changes, so I’m trying to absorb as much of the old charm now, before it gets replaced.

Can you name a few of your favourite places in the city?
I prefer the historic over the new, so If I’m out wandering around the city, I might go to Philippes or Langer’s for a sandwich, and end my day in Elysian Park.

edsc03074-edit.jpg

Whom do you follow on Instagram?
I spend a lot of time in the explore tab looking at Middle Eastern and Russian accounts that curate videos featuring auto stunts/accidents and resourcefully made contraptions. The content I enjoy most is not art or photo related, but of few notable accounts are: @shaunking @jamescwelling @vicbergeriv @brad___phillips

What do you think Instagram as a platform has to offer artists and photographers?
Immediate access to an audience. A great benefit from the app has been the friendships that I’ve formed, it’s an interesting bond that occurs when you follow people over time.

img_4470-edit.jpg

Are there any galleries you are particularly looking forward to seeing at Frieze Los Angeles?
I frequent most galleries in LA often, so I’m looking forward to viewing New York and international galleries.

All photos by Trevor Hernandez @gangculture. Frieze Los Angeles will take place at Paramount Pictures Studios from February 15 through February 17.

Trevor Hernandez
@gangculture
Frieze Los Angeles

Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化 Frieze与洛杉矶摄影师Trevor Hernandez合作拍摄了一系列照片,推出了Frieze Los Angeles。Hernandez的Frieze委员会以“Instagram上的帮派文化”而闻名,它从艺术家独特的超现实主义视角重新塑造了派拉蒙电影制片厂,揭露了工作场所和洛杉矶城市景观中不可思议的构图。赫尔南德斯在弗里斯洛杉矶的工作将在frieze.com、社交媒体和全球视觉广告上发表。为什么选择Instagram的名称@gang.?
我原本打算把这个名字用作出版物的标题,但在有机会开始这个项目之前,我加入了Instagram。用户名与照片没有特定的连接……但我想使用一个能唤起比自己更大的东西的名字。dsc02898.jpg Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化你为什么开始摄影?我父亲10岁左右给我买了第一台胶卷相机。我真的没有耐心或欲望去完全欣赏这些设备,所以相机没有多大用处。在我十几岁的时候,我买了一台T4和几台数码相机……但是直到我的第一部iPhone,我才完全接受定期拍照。使用我的手机作为相机的便利性,创造了这个习惯,这已经变成了一点困扰。你如何描述你的艺术风格?雕塑。概念的。特雷弗·埃尔南德兹.@gang..拍摄的edsc00017.jpg Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化照片.你如何描述洛杉矶的文化?我在这里出生和长大,所以我在洛杉矶的经历总是由工人阶级和拉美裔社区丰富多彩的形象来界定的。因为这是一个分散的城市,你有大块的社区自豪分散在整个景观,形成一个美丽的多样化的人口。这个城市正经历着急剧的变化,所以我想在被取代之前,尽可能地吸收它原有的魅力。你能说出你在城里最喜欢的几个地方吗?我喜欢历史胜过新城,所以如果我在城里四处逛逛,我可能会去菲利普斯或兰格家吃三明治,然后在伊莱辛公园结束一天的生活。edsc03074-edit.jpg Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化图片由Trevor Hernandez@gang..@Instagram上你跟随谁?我花了很多时间在探索标签上看中东和俄罗斯的帐户,这些帐户策划了关于汽车特技/事故和有智慧的小发明的视频。我最喜欢的内容与艺术或照片无关,但很少有值得注意的报道是:@shaunking@jamescwelling@vicbergeriv@brad_phillips你认为Instagram作为一个平台应该为艺术家和摄影师提供什么?立即访问观众。这个应用程序的一大好处就是我结交的友谊,它是一种有趣的纽带,随着时间的流逝,当你跟随别人时,这种纽带就会出现。Trevor Hernandez@gang.e拍摄的img_4470-edit.jpg Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化图片.@gang..–有没有你特别期待在弗雷泽洛杉矶看到的画廊?我经常光顾洛杉矶的大多数画廊,所以我很期待参观纽约和国际画廊。所有照片由Trevor Hernandez@gang..《炸洛杉矶》将于2月15日至2月17日在派拉蒙电影制片厂举行。Q&A: @gangculture - 问&A: @帮派文化.Trevor Hernandez.@gang. Frieze Los Angeles

FRIZE特稿
ARThing编译

Comments are closed.